Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Movin' On Up to High Street

My other posts have been what I remember from living on Columbus Street. I must have been about five when we moved to High Street - about 2 or so blocks away. We had been renting on Columbus Street, but daddy and mama were going to actually buy a house now. I vaguely remember helping bring in a few small things from the car to the new-to-us house. I'm not sure how much the house was, but it probably wasn't over $5,000. There was a living room with French doors that led into the dining room. Off the dining room, the kitchen had room for a dinette table and chairs. There were 3 bedrooms. In the front of the house, off the living room, was mama and daddy's room, the next room was mine, and the back bedroom belonged to my two grandmothers. There was a hallway between the dining room and kitchen and back bedroom, and the bathroom was at the end of the hall. How did 5 people ever get by with one bathroom? There was a screened-in back porch that spanned the back of the house. Off the living room was a screened-in side porch, and there was a concrete front porch with a metal swing for two average size people or three children. In the back yard was a small wooden house/shed where daddy kept the lawn mower and larger tools. I was so afraid of spiders (and still am!), and when I was older I had to get the mower out of that shed when I mowed the yard. I hated going in there. We had a big back yard and then another lot behind the shed. I usually didn't have to mow the lot, but the back, sides and front yard were quite a bit to handle. But, the $3.00 I got for mowing would buy a lot of tickets to the movie at the Elkin Theater at 25 cents each. I could even afford a nickel bag of popcorn, but the Elkins didn't allow any drinks in their theater. So, there was a constant line of kids going back and forth to the water fountain. More on the Elkins later.

No comments: